The MHSW Program ceased operations on September 30, 2021.
Stakeholders can find extensive wind up details in the approved MHSW Wind Up Plan.
Information on the HSP program which became effective on October 1, 2021 can be found on the RPRA website.
July 31, 2021
FEE REDUCTION UPDATE AS OF JULY 31, 2021
The approved Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste (MHSW) Wind Up Plan and subsequent amendments included provisions for Stewardship Ontario to disburse MHSW Program surplus funds to stewards and Industry Stewardship Organizations (ISOs) to facilitate fee reductions during the remainder of the program.
This chart provides an aggregated summary of surplus funds disbursed by Stewardship Ontario related to the fee reduction process to date. As of July 31, 2021, Stewardship Ontario has disbursed $43.8 million toward fee reductions for MHSW materials. We will continue to publish updates throughout the MHSW wind up process.
The MHSW Wind Up Plan indicates that the timing and level of fee reductions implemented in each MHSW material category varies dependent on the level of surplus funds associated with material reserves in those categories. Fee reductions for Stewardship Ontario stewards will also be adjusted throughout the MHSW wind up process as ongoing program costs and financial adjustments may affect the level of surplus funds available to be disbursed as fee reductions.
Stewardship Ontario began implementing fee reductions in January 2020 with respect to invoices issued in relation to the single-use battery material category. In July 2020, in accordance with the ISO Surplus Fund Transfer Addendum, Stewardship Ontario disbursed surplus funds to ISOs to facilitate the implementation of fee reductions for their members.
In June 2021, the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority approved an extension of the MHSW Program to September 30, 2021. Consequently, Q3 invoices previously scheduled to be issued on September 30, 2021, were issued on July 30, 2021. Final MHSW Program invoices, as per the Approved MHSW Program Extension Addendum, will now be issued to stewards by December 31, 2021.
Stewardship Ontario introduced fee reductions for the antifreeze, fertilizer, paints & coatings and solvent categories in July 2021. Fee reductions also continued in the pressurized container, oil container and oil filter categories. Detailed fee reduction schedules for various program categories are available on the Stewardship Ontario website. Fee reduction amounts to be implemented on final steward invoices, to be issued in December 2021, have yet to determined and will be subject to MHSW Program financial adjustments.
On April 12, 2018, the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change issued direction to Stewardship Ontario to wind up the Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste (MHSW) Program by December 31, 2020. Upon wind up, materials collected under the MHSW Program will be managed according to an individual producer responsibility (IPR) framework under the Resource Recovery and Circular Economy Act, 2016.
On December 11, 2018, the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) amended the timelines for the wind up of single-use batteries, stating the waste diversion program for single-use batteries would cease operation on June 30, 2020 to allow for coordination with waste electrical and electronic equipment.
On July 2, 2019, Stewardship Ontario received further direction from the MECP regarding the wind up of the MHSW Program. The new direction letter amendments are summarized below:
- The program to manage all designated materials except single-use batteries will now cease operation on June 30, 2021 instead of December 31, 2020.
- The program to manage single-use batteries will continue to cease operation on June 30, 2020.
- Stewardship Ontario is to develop a proposal to return surplus funds to Ontario consumers of MHSM in its proposed Wind Up Plan:
- For MHSM categories whose recovery is managed by Stewardship Ontario, the plan will set out rules governing a fee elimination during the wind up period;
- For MHSM categories that are managed through industry stewardship plans, the plan will include options to return surplus funds to MHSM consumers, for example, through a consumer rebate program.
- Stewardship Ontario is to submit a revised Wind Up Plan to the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA) by September 30, 2019.
- The Minister anticipates RPRA will approve the Plan no later than December 31, 2019.
On December 20, 2019, The Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks has issued a new direction letter to Stewardship Ontario and the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA) clarifying how MHSW residual funds should be managed once the program winds up on June 30, 2021.
On April 1, 2020, the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks issued a new direction letter to Stewardship Ontario to amend its Wind Up Plan for material categories for which there are approved Industry Stewardship Plans (ISPs) to ensure that 100 per cent of approved material-specific surplus funds be returned to ISP operators in one-time lump sum payments.
On April 29, 2020, the Minister granted an extension to June 5, 2020, for Stewardship Ontario to submit its Wind Up Plan amendments for returning surplus funds to the Industry Steward Organizations (ISOs).
On April 29, 2021, the Minister’s direction letter to RPRA and Stewardship Ontario extended the operation of the MHSW Program by three months to September 30, 2021. Stewardship Ontario was directed to submit amendments to its Wind Up Plan to RPRA by May 31, 2021.
Plan Approval Conditions
RPRA’s approval comes with the following conditions.
Changes to Deadlines for Steward Adjustments
- New deadlines have been established for stewards to submit adjustments to prior reports. These deadlines were revised to align adjustment request deadlines with RPRA’s data submission requirements.
- Batteries: Final adjustment requests for single-use batteries for data related to 2019 and earlier have been revised to February 14, 2020 from May 31, 2020.
- Paint, Automotive Materials, Pressurized Containers, Pesticides & Fertilizers: Final adjustment requests for all other MHSW materials for data related to 2020 and earlier have been revised to February 12, 2021 from May 31, 2021.
Please note: these revised dates are now reflected in the published MHSW Wind Up Plan.
Ministerial Direction on Residual Funds
- New Ministerial direction received on December 20, 2019, directed Stewardship Ontario to develop an addendum to the approved MHSW Wind Up Plan to return residual funds to stewards once the program is in its final wind up phase in 2022.
- Due to the short timeline, Stewardship Ontario engaged with key MHSW stakeholder groups during the week of January 13, 2020, to review a draft proposal regarding the disbursement of residual funds prior to submitting the addendum to RPRA.
- RPRA hosted a consultation webinar the proposal on January 22, 2020.
- Following the consultation and feedback period, Stewardship Ontario submitted its addendum on February 4 for RPRA’s approval.
- RPRA approved the addendum on February 21, 2020. Click here for more details.
- If required by RPRA, Stewardship Ontario will update the plan to address operational and implementation issues.
- Stewardship Ontario will provide any information that is required to assist RPRA in performing its duties under the Waste Diversion Transition Act, 2016.
The approved MHSW Wind Up Plan also includes some clarifying amendments to reflect additional conflict of interest provisions and a new management structure implemented at Stewardship Ontario following submission of the plan in September.
Stewardship Ontario received a new direction letter from the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) to extend the MHSW program three months, now terminating on September 30, 2021.
Stewardship Ontario will be consulting with MHSW stakeholders on proposed wind-up plan amendments to implement the new Ministerial direction. Register at this link for the May 18, 2021, webinar. Stakeholders are invited to submit feedback on the content discussed during the consultation webinar up until Wednesday, May 26, 2021. Please email feedback to email@example.com.
During the transition period, Stewardship Ontario will continue to operate the MHSW Program without disruption. Any questions around wind up operations can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about the new program that will replace the current MHSW program will be posted on RPRA’s website as it becomes available. Questions can be sent to RPRA at email@example.com.
- MHSW Wind Up Plan
- Residual Funds Addendum to MHSW Wind Up Plan
- ISO Surplus Fund Transfer Addendum to the Wind Up Plan
- Approval of MHSW Wind Up Plan (RPRA, December 2019)
- Amended MHSW Rules for Stewards due to COVID-19
On June 26, 2020, the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority’s (RPRA) Board of Directors approved, with conditions, Stewardship Ontario’s ISO Surplus Fund Transfer Addendum to the MHSW Wind Up Plan submitted on June 5, following consultations on May 12 and May 13, 2020 (webinar presentation available here).
The addendum outlines the amount of surplus funds to be transferred to the Industry Stewardship Organizations (ISOs) as a lump sum and the process for Stewardship Ontario to recover reasonable unexpected costs related to the materials managed by the ISOs in the event of a delay in wind up of the MHSW Program.
RPRA’s approval came with the following conditions:
- The Addendum shall be updated to apply a reserve share allocation methodology based on current membership and market share using reported tonnage supplied to the Ontario market in the last full year.
- The Addendum shall be updated with respect to how tonnage is attributed to stewards: the reserve share allocation methodology used to determine the SO-ISO share of a material reserve attribute tonnage supplied by a steward who has transitioned to an ISP during the applicable data year to that steward’s current program operator.
- The Residual Funds Addendum shall be amended by adding a fifth clause stating that “Residual funds must be returned to Stewards or ISP Members in the form of a payment and not as a credit that can be accessed at a later date, if requested by a Steward or ISP Member.”
- RPRA may serve a decision-making role in the SO-ISO Surplus Fund Transfer Agreement, with respect to reasonable unexpected costs recoverable by Stewardship Ontario from ISOs in the event of a program extension, on terms that are acceptable to RPRA’s CEO.
May 18, 2021
MHSW Wind Up Plan Amendments – Consultation Materials Available
The presentation and recording of the May 18 consultation webinar on MHSW Wind Up Plan amendments are available at the links below:
The consultation and amendments to the Wind Up Plan are in response to the April 29 direction letter from the Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) extending the operation of the MHSW Program to September 30, 2021.
The amendments to the Wind Up Plan must be submitted to the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RPRA) by May 31, 2021. The Minister anticipates that RPRA will approve the amended plan no later than June 30, 2021.
During the consultation webinar Stewardship Ontario reviewed necessary changes to MHSW Program wind up reporting deadlines for stakeholders and updated financial information in relation to the extension.
The program for single-use batteries wound up on June 30, 2020.
For information related to the new single-use battery framework and regulations, please visit the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority’s website. Producers must register with RPRA by January 31, 2021. More information is available here.
DECEMBER 14, 2020: Please read this important notice regarding final steward invoices and fee reductions.
WEBINAR: Final information and fee reduction update for single-use battery stewards
WEBINAR: Final wind up steps for single-use battery stakeholders
- View the presentation
- Watch the webinar
- Wind Up Summary One-pager for Stewards
- Wind Up Summary One-pager for Service Providers
WEBINAR: Fee reduction process for single-use battery stewards
In preparation for the MHSW Program ceasing operations on September 30, 2021, Stewardship Ontario hosted a webinar on September 14, 2021 to review key dates and final steps for MHSW stakeholders. Click on the below links to access materials from the webinar.
- Webinar recording
- Presentation file
- Summaries of wind up final steps and key dates for MHSW Stewards and Service Providers
If you have any questions on the wind up process, please visit https://rpra.ca/find-a- collection-site/
July 2021 fee reduction update for pressurized containers is available here.
July 2020 Webinar: Fee reduction process for pressurized container stewards
July 2021 fee reduction update for automotive materials is available here.
October 2020 Webinar: Fee reduction process for automotive material stewards:
Fertilizers, Paints And Coatings, Solvents
July 2021 fee reduction notice for paints and coatings, fertilizer and solvents is available here.
July 2021 Webinar: Fee reduction process for paints and coatings, fertilizer and solvent stewards
PHASE 1 CONSULTATIONS
Two stakeholder-specific webinar consultations took place on Tuesday, April 2, 2019. During these webinars, Stewardship Ontario reviewed:
- The key objectives for winding up the MHSW program;
- The proposed exit transition approach;
- An overview of MHSW financing and the projected wind up budget;
- Key wind up dates and reporting schedules for program participants; and
- Other steps and elements Stewardship Ontario is proposing to wrap up the MHSW program in a manner consistent with ministerial direction and regulatory requirements.
Municipality, First Nations communities and service provider-focused consultation
Feedback was to be submitted by May 1, 2019 and was extremely valuable as we finalized our proposed Wind Up Plan.
PHASE 2 CONSULTATIONS
We consulted on MHSW Wind Up Plan proposals consistent with the July 2 direction from the Minister in August. Topics included new timelines for the program’s termination, the implementation of a fee elimination for some MHSW categories and proposed options for the return of surplus funds to Ontario consumers of MHSM.
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Click here to view the Q&A from both consultation webinars.
Feedback was accepted until Friday, August 30, 2019 in order for Stewardship Ontario to finalize its MHSW Wind Up Plan and submit to the RPRA by the Minister’s September 30, 2019 deadline.
- April 2, 2019 – Phase I consultation webinars with MHSW stakeholders.
- May 1, 2019 – Stakeholder feedback on the content of the MHSW Wind Up Plan due.
- August 14 & 20, 2019 – Phase II consultation webinars with MHSW stakeholders.
- August 30, 2019 – Stakeholder feedback on August consultation webinars due.
- September 30, 2019 – Stewardship Ontario submits proposal for MHSW Wind Up Plan to RPRA for approval.
- December 31, 2019 – As per Ministerial Direction, anticipated date by which RPRA will approve the MHSW Wind Up Plan.
- February 29, 2020 – Minister expects RPRA to approve Stewardship Ontario’s revised residual funds proposal.
- June 5, 2020 – Surplus funds amendments due to RPRA for approval.
- June 25, 2020 – Minister expects RPRA to approve surplus fund amendments.
- June 30, 2020 – Program termination date for batteries.
- June 30, 2021 – Minister expects RPRA to approve amendment to extend MHSW program for three months.
- September 30, 2021 – MHSW Program ceases operations.
- October 1, 2021 – Municipal depot hour payments to be terminated.
- October 15, 2021 – Deadline for pickup of Pressurized Container materials dropped at collection sites by September 30, 2021.
- October 31, 2021 – Final steward supply reports (Q3 2021 data, July 1-Sep 30) due.
- November 30, 2021 – Final steward adjustment requests due for data related to 2021 only.
- November 30, 2021 – Deadline for service provider and municipal incentive submissions.
- December 2021 – Final invoices to be issued to stewards by December 31, 2021.
- January 2022 – Payment of final steward invoices due within 30 days of receipt of invoice.
- Approved MHSW Wind Up Plan
- Residual Funds addendum to the MHSW Wind Up Plan
- ISO Surplus Fund Transfer Addendum to the MHSW Wind Up Plan
- Program Extension Addendum to the MHSW Wind Up Plan
- RPRA’s approval of the MHSW Wind Up Plan
- RPRA’s approval of the Residual Funds Addendum
- RPRA’s approval of the ISO Surplus Fund Transfer Addendum
- RPRA’s approval of the Program Extension Addendum
- Code of Conduct Bylaw
- April 12, 2018 – Minister’s letter to Stewardship Ontario directing wind up of the MHSW Program
- April 12, 2018 – Addendum to the Minister’s direction letter to wind up the MHSW Program
- April 12, 2018 – Minister’s letter to the Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority re: wind up of the MHSW Program
- December 11, 2018 – Minister’s direction letter amending single-use battery wind up timelines
- July 2019 – Minister’s direction letter amending requirements for the MHSW Wind Up Plan
- December 2019 – Minister’s direction letter clarifying residual funds
- April 1, 2020 – Minister’s direction on disbursement of surplus funds to ISOs
- April 29, 2020 – Minister grants extension for surplus fund amendments
- April 29, 2021 – Minister’s letter to Stewardship Ontario directing the extension of the MHSW Program by three months
- September 30, 2021- MHSW Ceases Operations Today
- September 14, 2021 – MHSW Program Final Wind Up Steps – Webinar Materials Available
- August 19, 2021 – Webinar: MHSW Program Final Wind Up Steps
- July 30, 2021 – Automotive Materials Fee Reduction Update 30 July 21
- July 30, 2021 – Fertilizers, Paints & Coatings and Solvents Fee Reduction Notice 30 July 21
- July 30, 2021 – Pressurized Container Fee Reduction Update 30 July 21
- July 8, 2021 – MHSW Webinar Invitation July 28 for Fertilizers, Paints and Coatings, Solvents.
- June 23, 2021 – RPRA approves MHSW Program Extension Addendum
- June 11, 2021 – Stewardship Ontario initiates governance transition
- June 8, 2021 – Ontario issues final Hazardous and Special Products Regulation
- May 31, 2021 – Stewardship Ontario Submits Amendments to the MHSW Wind Up Plan to RPRA
- May 5, 2021 – Register: Consultation on Amendments to MHSW Wind Up Plan Webinar
- April 30, 2021 – Stewardship Ontario Directed to Extend MHSW Program 3 Months
- April 30, 2021 – Pressurized Container Fee Reduction Update
- April 30, 2021 – Automotive Materials Fee Reduction Update April 30
- February 12, 2021 – Proposed Hazardous and Special Products Regulation Posted for Feedback
- February 8, 2021 – Final Adjustment Request Deadline: February 12, 2021
- February 2, 2021 – MHSW Wind Up Plan Fee Reduction Update
- January 28, 2021 – Automotive Materials Fee Reduction Update
- January 28, 2021 – Pressurized Container Fee Reduction Update
- January 20, 2021 – Battery stewards to register with RPRA by January 31, 2021
- January 18, 2021 – Final Adjustment Request Deadline: February 12, 2021
- October 29, 2020 – Pressurized Container Fee Reduction Update
- October 6, 2020 – Fee Reduction Process Webinar for MHSW Oil Filter and Oil Container Stewards
- July 23, 2020 – Financial Update for Stewards Registered with Stewardship Ontario’s MHSW
- July 9, 2020 – Fee reduction process webinar for MHSW pressurized container stewards
- June 3, 2020 – Single-use Battery Program Wind Up Final Steps Webinar Materials Available
- May 13, 2020 – Consultation Materials on MHSW Wind Up Plan Surplus Fund Amendments Now Available
- May 7, 2020 – Webinar: MHSW Single-use Battery Program Final Wind Up Steps
- May 6, 2020 – Reminder: Consultations on MHSW Wind Up Plan Amendments May 12 and 13
- May 1, 2020 – Minister directs amendments to MHSW Wind Up Plan
- February 24, 2020 – Residual funds addendum to MHSW Wind Up Plan approved by RPRA
- February 12, 2020 – Final Adjustment Request Deadline: February 14, 2020
- February 7, 2020 – Adjustment to Q1 2020 invoices for single-use batteries
- January 8, 2020 – MHSW Wind Up Plan approved
- December 23, 2019 – Minister issues new direction letter clarifying the management of MHSW residual funds
- October 17, 2019 – Register for RPRA’s consultation on the proposed MHSW Wind Up Plan
- October 8, 2019 – RPRA posts MHSW Wind Up Plan and Consultation Details
- October 1, 2019 – Proposed MHSW Wind Up Plan Submitted to RPRA
- September 26, 2019 – Changes to the Common Cost Allocation Methodology
- August 27, 2019 – MHSW Wind Up Consultation Q&A and Feedback Reminder
- August 21, 2019 – Reminder: MHSW Wind Up Plan Feedback due Friday, August 30
- August 15, 2019 – MHSW Wind Up Plan Consultation: Materials & Feedback Request
- August 6, 2019 – Reminder: Register for MHSW Wind Up Plan Consultation Webinars on Minister’s Amendments
- July 30, 2019 – Reminder: Register for MHSW Wind Up Plan Consultation Webinars on Minister’s Amendments
- July 17, 2019 – Register for MHSW Wind Up Plan Consultation Webinars on Minister’s Amendments
- July 4, 2019 – Stewardship Ontario Receives Further Direction on MHSW Wind Up
- July 2, 2019 – Proposed MHSW Wind Up Plan Submitted to RPRA
- May 22, 2019 – CSSA Q2 newsletter
- April 15, 2019 – Consultation Q&As Now Available
- March 28, 2019 – MHSW Wind Up Plan Consultation Reminder
- March 19, 2019 – MHSW Wind Up Plan Consultation Reminder
- March 7, 2019 – MHSW Wind Up Plan Consultation Reminder
- March 7, 2019 – CSSA Q1 newsletter
- February 26, 2019 – MHSW Wind Up Plan Consultation – Register Now
- April 13, 2018 – Minister Directs Wind Up of Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste (MHSW) Program